04-11 RX-8 13B RENESIS BASIC ENGINE SHORTBLOCK REBUILD
- You supply your engine core to me up front to be rebuilt
- You’ve removed the engine from the car already
- You’ve removed all the external accessories from the engine assembly, such as intake manifolds, water pump housing, oil pan, brackets, sensors, etc. to arrive at the bare engine block
- You transport or pay actual shipping cost both ways
- Your engine core’s rotor housings and other components are reusable. If not, cost of the build will increase. Some cores need two replacement rotor housings which increase the build cost by $1700(04-08) or $1800(09-11).
NEW PARTS & SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE BASE PRICE (this list represents approx. $1800 retail cost in parts):
- Oem mazda apex seals
- OEM mazda apex short & long springs
- Oem mazda corner seals
- Oem mazda corner springs
- atkins rotary side seals cut to length
- Oem mazda side springs
- Atkins rotary viton oil oring inserts
- Oem mazda inner and outer coolant seals
- Dowel pin orings, tension bolt seals, rear stationary gear o-ring, front/rear main oil seal
- Front cover gasket
- Atkins rotary thermal pellet replacement for front of e-shaft
- Main bearings
- Rotor bearings
- When rotor housings are reused, they are resurfaced. This service skims material off the top chrome sealing layer to remove light defects and improve the uniformity of the sealing surface, however it cannot repair deep wear or defects and cannot put back worn away chrome. Some other shops provide this service “out the door” for as much as $300 plus round trip shipping, it is included free in my build.
- Spark plug holes threads are cleaned and retapped. OMP injector holes are drilled to remove clogged carbon.
- Factory ~72psi oil pressure regulator snout is pressed to increase oil pressure to approx. 85-90psi. (applies to 04-08 models)
PARTS REUSED IN THE BUILD (ADDITIONAL CHARGES WILL INCREASE BUILD COST IF ORIGINALS ARE NOT REUSABLE):
- 2) rotor housings
- 2) rotors
- Eccentric shaft
- 2) stationary gears
- Front cover
- 3) iron housings/plates
- Oil pump, chain, sprockets, various small hardware
- Rotor metal oil control scraper rings (8), cutoff rings (4), w/ springs (12)
OPTIONAL PARTS/SERVICES IF NEEDED OR DESIRED:
- You send your complete engine as removed from the car w/ external accessories still installed, such as intake manifold, water pump housing, wiring, sensors, oil pan etc. I remove those accessories to expose the shortblock for rebuild, then later I reinstall those accessories correctly, resolving vacuum leaks and other previous installation and other issues. Additional labor charges of $300 apply. This charge includes gaskets as needed, meticulous cleaning of lower intake manifold, SSV valve, and APV valves (for 6 port models) to remove carbon buildup. Also includes 3 aftermarket vacuum solenoids to eliminate CEL codes. Note that freight shipping cost increases due to additional weight.
- New rotor housings @ prevailing current prices, approx. $1700/pair for 04-08 or $1800/pair for 09-11
- New iron housings @ prevailing current prices, approx. $2000/set of 3
- New apex short/long springs $60
- New metal oil control scraper rings, cutoff rings, w/ springs $550
- New oil pump approx. $70 @ current prevailing prices
- Streetport all intake ports and exhaust ports $850
- Turnaround time 2-4 weeks depending on workload waiting ahead of you. February through May are the busiest months with increased wait time.
- If you have more than one core or parts of other cores you may bring all of them. I will tear down and inspect all cores/components and the parts left over after your build is completed can be traded in for some additional credit off your bill.
- Rotary Resurrection is located in Morristown, TN. You are welcome to deliver your engine in person, or ship via semi truck freight. Since I work from home, all visits are by appointment only. I am normally available any weekday afternoon or evening 12-7:30pm EST, or Saturday afternoon 12-2. IF you want to ship via truck freight I can help you arrange this, inquire for more info.
- Normally once I receive your engine or car, I will continue working on other jobs ahead of you until they are complete, then I will begin yours by tearing down the engine block. I take pictures of each component during disassembly and send you an email containing a link to all of these pictures along with a detailed written description. I will explain any issues, make recommendations and suggestions, and let you decide what to do should additional part replacement be required. Once these issues have been decided upon, I will proceed with the build, and again photo document the cleaned/inspected/prepared parts prior to and during assembly of the block, so that you have documentation of what you have now. Then you will have approximately 1 week to pay the balance and pick up or ship the engine back out.
- All builds are accompanied by a written 1 year unlimited mileage warranty on the labor aspect of the build only. The warranty is posted elsewhere on this site.
- My standard procedure for starting a build is as follows:
- I need all of your information including full name, street address, city/state/zip, shipping address (for truck freight, if different), phone number(s), and year/model of engine. I also need all build specs such as paint colors for the engine block (black/gunmetal is default), apex seal and porting options, and any special requests. You can send this information via email or in writing at time of dropoff.
- Payment is payable via cash, credit card in person or via internet invoice, or US post office money order made to Kevin Landers. I may take a deposit up front at dropoff depending on the nature of your build. This deposit may increase with certain build options such as more expensive seals or other components. IF applicable, the deposit amount is taken off of the total price of the build.
- A signed service contract submitted prior to or at the time of receipt/dropoff of the engine, which will be sent directly to you via email after you contact me. You may print/sign/mail, print/sign/attach to engine shipment, or I will have a copy for you to sign at dropoff. You may also print/sign/scan/email remotely, or print/sign/photograph/email the contract to me, as long as it is well lit and clearly legible with an actual signature (not just printed text).