86-95 RX-7 13B BASIC ENGINE SHORTBLOCK REBUILD
- You supply your engine core to me up front to be rebuilt
- You’ve removed the engine from the car already
- You’ve removed all the external accessories from the engine assembly, such as intake manifolds, water pump housing, oil pan, brackets, sensors, etc. to arrive at the bare engine block
- You transport or pay actual shipping cost both ways
NEW PARTS & SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE BASE PRICE (this list represents approx. $1200 retail cost in parts):
- Oem mazda 2mm 2 piece apex seals (except where 3mm apex seals are required or requested, price variable depending on seal selection available). IF you desire some other brand of apex seal in your build, you can supply the seals for installation and I will discount the build cost by $275.
- Oem mazda 2mm corner seals w/ rubber plugs
- Oem mazda rx8 corner springs (for NA applications) or 93-95 FD corner springs (turbo applications)
- Oem mazda side seals cut to length
- Oem mazda side springs
- Atkins rotary viton oil oring inserts
- Oem mazda inner and outer coolant seals
- Dowel pin orings, tension bolt seals, rear stationary gear o-ring, front/rear main oil seal
- Front cover gasket (paper w/ oring(s), for 91 and earlier models, metal version for 93-95 models)
- Atkins rotary thermal pellet replacement for front of e-shaft
- Main bearings
- Rotor bearings
- When rotor housings are reused, they are resurfaced. This service skims material off the top chrome sealing layer to remove light defects and improve the uniformity of the sealing surface, however it cannot repair deep wear or defects and cannot put back worn away chrome. Some other shops provide this service “out the door” for as much as $300 plus round trip shipping, it is included free in my build.
- Spark plug holes threads are cleaned and retapped. OMP injector holes are drilled to remove clogged carbon.
- For 91 and earlier models with the ~75psi oil pressure regulator, the snout is pressed to increase oil pressure to approx. 85-90psi. For 93-95 models the original ~110psi regulator is reused as is.
- 93-95 models often wear the internal keys inside the oil pump significantly, when necessary these are replaced with new keys.
PARTS REUSED IN THE BUILD (ADDITIONAL CHARGES WILL INCREASE BUILD COST IF ORIGINALS ARE NOT REUSABLE):
- 2) rotor housings
- 2) rotors
- Eccentric shaft
- 2) stationary gears
- Front cover
- 3) iron housings/plates
- Oil pump, chain, sprockets, various small hardware
- Rotor apex short/long springs
- Rotor metal oil control scraper rings (8) w/ springs
OPTIONAL PARTS/SERVICES IF NEEDED OR DESIRED:
- Streetport all intake ports and exhaust ports $500 (for 86-91 NA models this includes labor to change exhaust port sleeves to smooth style turbo sleeves IF YOU CAN SUPPLY THEM AS I CURRENTLY HAVE NONE TO SUPPLY.
- You sent your complete engine as removed from the car w/ external accessories still installed, such as intake manifold, water pump housing, wiring, sensors, oil pan etc. I remove those accessories to expose the shortblock for rebuild, then later I reinstall those accessories correctly, resolving vacuum leaks and other previous installation and other issues. Additional labor charges of $200 apply in addition to costs of gaskets and o-rings as needed (usually $50-200), hoses, and possible charges for other maintenance parts as needed depending on the year/model and speciifications.
- New rotor housings @ prevailing current prices, approx. $1350/pair for FC or $1800 for FD
- New iron housings @ prevailing current prices, approx. $1600/set of 3
- New apex short/long springs $60
- New metal oil control scraper rings w/ springs $450
- New oil pump $200-275 depending on year/model @ current prevailing prices
- Turnaround time 2-3 weeks depending on workload waiting ahead of you. February through May are the busiest months with increased wait time.
- If you have more than one core or parts of other cores you may bring all of them. I will tear down and inspect all cores/components and the parts left over after your build is completed can be traded in for some additional credit off your bill.
- Rotary Resurrection is located in Morristown, TN. You are welcome to deliver your engine in person, or ship via semi truck freight. Since I work from home, all visits are by appointment only. I am normally available any weekday afternoon or evening 12-7:30pm EST, or Saturday afternoon 12-2. IF you want to ship via truck freight I can help you arrange this, inquire for more info or review the “how to set up shipping” document elsewhere on this site.
- Normally once I receive your engine or car plus deposit, I will continue working on other jobs ahead of you until they are complete, then I will begin yours by tearing down the engine block. I take pictures of each component during disassembly and send you an email containing a link to all of these pictures along with a detailed written description. I will explain any issues, make recommendations and suggestions, and let you decide what to do should additional part replacement be required. Once these issues have been decided upon, I will proceed with the build, and again photo document the cleaned/inspected/prepared parts prior to and during assembly of the block, so that you have documentation of what you have now. Then you will have approximately 1 week to pay the balance and pick up or ship the engine back out.
- All builds are accompanied by a written 1 year unlimited mileage warranty on the labor aspect of the build only. The warranty is posted elsewhere on this site.
- My standard procedure for starting a build is as follows:
- I need all of your information including full name, street address, city/state/zip, shipping address (for truck freight, if different), phone number(s), and year/model of engine. I also need all build specs such as paint colors for the engine block (black/gunmetal is default), apex seal and porting options, and any special requests. You can send this information via email or in writing at time of dropoff.
- Payment is payable via cash, credit card in person or via internet invoice, US post office money order made to Kevin Landers, or paypal online transfer to Kevin@rotaryresurrection.com . I may take a deposit up front at dropoff depending on the nature of your build. This deposit may increase with certain build options such as more expensive seals or other components. IF applicable, the deposit amount is taken off of the total price of the build.
- A signed service contract submitted prior to or at the time of receipt/dropoff of the engine, which will be sent directly to you via email after you contact me. You may print/sign/mail, print/sign/attach to engine shipment, or I will have a copy for you to sign at dropoff. You may also print/sign/scan/email remotely, or print/sign/photograph/email the contract to me, as long as it is well lit and clearly legible with an actual signature (not just printed text).